I just got off today’s National Coach Call, and wanted to provide some of that information about Shakeology here on the blog:
Since we created the original formula four years ago, what we know about nutritional science and along with that, Shakeology, has evolved.
As Darin Olien, our ingredient hunter, explores new discoveries in superfoods, it’s our job to continue to evolve the formulas based on the latest of what we know.
I think we all want to consume something that feeds our bodies in the most aggressively nutritious way possible. We want that for ourselves and our families. I know I do.
Now some believe we missed the mark with the new Chocolate Whey Superfood formula. Others see the new formula as a vast improvement overall – especially those who felt the latest reports on ingesting too much fructose REALLY undermined the “Healthiest Meal of the Day” objective.
My job is to live up to that promise, and listen closely to customer feedback to make sure I am serving them as intended. Here is what we did to upgrade the health benefits of the product:
- LESS FRUCTOSE - The fructose in Shakeology is natural – even an apple has fructose in it – but with the continuing evidence about ingesting TOO MUCH fructose and the links to type 2 diabetes and other health problems, the call for its reduction was clear; When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can’t process it all fast enough for the body to use as sugar. Instead, it starts making fats from the fructose and sending them into the bloodstream as triglycerides. We’ve also read that too much Fructose circumvents the normal appetite satisfaction signaling system, which means appetite-regulating hormones aren’t triggered–and you’re left feeling unsatisfied. The fructose had to be lowered for the Shakeology brand to have the desired outcome for our customers.
- MORE FIBER – As you may know, we have been selling Shakeology fiber boost ever since we launched Shakeology. Not many people were adding the fiber, and it is a super important aspect to the appetite suppressant benefits of Shakeology. So we found ways to add fiber to the formula directly and get it more in line with a healthy shake. The fiber increased from 3g to 6g using a protein blend of with quality, flavor-neutral vegan sources.
More fiber is good news: it helps you feel full even longer, it’s better for digestion, and can also help with cholesterol.
- 4 NEW SUPERFOODS:
Moringa which is rich in Vitamin C, Calcium, Vitamin A, Protein, Potassium and Iron. Moringa has anti-inflammatory and anti bacterial properties and is known to promote energy, vitality, athletic performance, and weight loss while boosting the immune system. This is something you WANT in the shake.
o We also found Coconut Flower Nectar and Luo Han Guo, superfoods that create a natural sweetness to Shakeology plus…
Coconut Flower Nectar is high in potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron and contains 17 amino acids plus is a natural source of B vitamins.
Luo Han Guo has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for more than a millennium due to its antioxidant properties and immune-supporting benefits.
Himalayan salt – as you know from the Ultimate Reset, Himalayan salt is actually healthy salt, salt that contains more than 70 trace minerals. Yes, salt is good for you if it’s this kind!
Now, with all that being said, I have read the feedback and the team has had a rough week seeing many of the responses to the Superfood formula they have worked hard to create. This is a complex formulation with around 70 ingredients, which means that it’s not easy to make all that dense nutrition taste chocolatey-creamy. And we take your feedback very seriously. A few people have reported that they have more difficulty swallowing the new formula, or suspect the additional fiber content in the new formula has had more of a “cleansing effect” on them.
Both situations may come from the addition of plant proteins into our proprietary protein blend. These plant proteins have a slightly thicker texture, not to mention more fiber to pass through your digestive tract. If you or your customers have experienced such effects, I recommend using less than a full serving until your body achieves a natural balance. But the good news is, even with less than a full serving they are getting the benefits of this upgraded formulation! Of course, any serious reactions, please, we want to know about them because this is about your health and we do not take this lightly! But by using THIS formula instead of the original, you will make healthy progress faster and we will live up to our promise to you and your customers.
And please know your opinion matters to us! We have been experimenting to try and isolate some of the flavor challenges some people have reported. Some have felt it was a stevia aftertaste, others report a mineral after taste that surfaced when we stopped bombing the formula with the sweetness of fructose.
We have already made some progress to bring it closer to the original without reducing the health benefits!
And we recognize that we have a greater opportunity to involve a broader audience of customers and coaches with regard to refining the taste, aroma, and texture of the new Chocolate formula.
No – we cannot go back to the old formula, it does not fit the profile of this brand. But to reassure you that we won’t make radical changes without a more complete review by customers, I am announcing a new Coach and Customer Taste Panel!
Starting this week, we’re unveiling an unprecedented opportunity to broaden Coach and customer involvement in the changes that we make going forward. We’re asking for volunteers to be a part of Chocolate Shakeology Sensory Panel.
- If you would like to volunteer for the opportunity to be a part of the Chocolate Shakeology Sensory Panel (the CSSP), please check the Coach Online Office at the end of the day today (Mon 8/13) for detailed instructions.
- A link to the online application form will be in COO Breaking news by EOD today. You will have until this Friday August 17th to complete it and we’ll notify you by the following Friday August 24th. Those that are chosen for the panel will be sent samples of the new versions of the formula to confidentially taste at home and provide feedback via a separate online survey. Panelists will be chosen from all over the United States—you do not have to live in Southern California to be a part of this panel!
Two other things:
- The single-serve packets of the new Superfood formula will be available starting tomorrow, Tuesday, 8/14 so that what you sample is representative of what your customers will buy.
People we have polled who never had the prior whey formula are reporting HIGH satisfaction with this Superfood formula. (That’s why I was confident in my prior blog post about bridging between the old formula and the new one over time.) But we need to promote this for what is most important; “The Healthiest Meal of the Day” – that’s the mission, so be passionate about it! Things are rough in this world and this is one product that is going to contribute to more than the taste buds but will actually provide the deep health benefits we all expect.
- Tropical Vegan Texture: We have heard that the texture of the plant-protein blend could be improved. You may have noticed that our Chocolate Vegan formula is much smoother than Tropical. So now Tropical Strawberry will feature the same vegan protein blend as the chocolate and the flavor has not changed at all. That means Tropical Strawberry will be even smoother and – as an extra bonus- the levels of amino acids lysine and methionine are sufficient to be deemed a “complete protein”. Nothing else has changed. The Flavor is still the same. Shipping out starting early this week. You may receive as early as Friday.
Again, I know some people are on the call thinking, “What’s the big deal? I like the new formulas.” And others are thinking, “Why can’t they just offer the original plus the Superfood formula? Coke did it with New Coke and Classic Coke.”
Here’s why – There are many meal replacement shakes available in the marketplace through networks and retail. Our promise is to have the most dramatic results in terms of health, fitness and weight loss. Shakeology is our most coveted brand, and it must directly represent what the brand stands for. It stands for the best.
When you offer this product to people, we want it to be positioned as the absolutely healthiest meal of the day. Not a great tasting shake that happens to be healthy. But the healthiest shake you can get which,at a minimum, tastes pretty good.
Achieving health has a cost – and I am not talking price here, I am talking expectation and discipline. When I think of you serving this shake to yourself, to one of your kids, or to a customer who raised their hand and said, “I am ready to get healthy,” which shake do I want you to serve? These new Superfood formulas.
When I think about how disease and suffering are affecting so many lives in our country and which shake can have the most dramatic effect on helping people stay healthy, I know which one I want our company to deliver – the new Superfood formulas.
When I make a cup of Shakeology for myself or my family and I want to know that they are getting the most nutrition possible from that dose; These new Superfood formulas.
I consider this vitally important work, and that the health benefits of this shake are a vitally important promise that we have made to our Coaches and customers. I am proud to serve this shake, and I hope you will see how much love and passion for our customers and community have been poured into its development.
But it’s not an easy game we are playing. The opponent is used to getting its way where the most points are put on the board by appealing to taste first. We need to change the game, and fight even harder to make progress to end the trend of obesity to help people achieve their goals to lead healthy fulfilling lives.
So now I hope we can all put our hands into the center of this huddle and yell “To Health” on three… ready one two three: “TO HEALTH!”