The Healthiest
13 Aug. 2012

The Healthiest

I just got off today’s National Coach Call, and wanted to provide some of that information about Shakeology here on the blog:

Since we created the original formula four years ago, what we know about nutritional science and along with that, Shakeology, has evolved.

As Darin Olien, our ingredient hunter, explores new discoveries in superfoods, it’s our job to continue to evolve the formulas based on the latest of what we know.

I think we all want to consume something that feeds our bodies in the most aggressively nutritious way possible. We want that for ourselves and our families. I know I do.

Now some believe we missed the mark with the new Chocolate Whey Superfood formula. Others see the new formula as a vast improvement overall – especially those who felt the latest reports on ingesting too much fructose REALLY undermined the “Healthiest Meal of the Day” objective.

My job is to live up to that promise, and listen closely to customer feedback to make sure I am serving them as intended. Here is what we did to upgrade the health benefits of the product:

• LESS FRUCTOSE - The fructose in Shakeology is natural – even an apple  has fructose in it – but with the continuing evidence about ingesting TOO MUCH fructose and the links to type 2 diabetes and other health problems, the call for its reduction was clear; When too much fructose enters the liver, the liver can’t process it all fast enough for the body to use as sugar. Instead, it starts making fats from the fructose and sending them into the bloodstream as triglycerides. We’ve also read that too much Fructose circumvents the normal appetite satisfaction signaling system, which means appetite-regulating hormones aren’t triggered–and you’re left feeling unsatisfied. The fructose had to be lowered for the Shakeology brand to have the desired outcome for our customers.

• MORE FIBER – As you may know, we have been selling Shakeology fiber boost ever since we launched Shakeology. Not many people were adding the fiber, and it is a super important aspect to the appetite suppressant benefits of Shakeology. So we found ways to add fiber to the formula directly and get it more in line with a healthy shake. The fiber increased from 3g to 6g using a protein blend of with quality, flavor-neutral vegan sources.

More fiber is good news:  it helps you feel full even longer, it’s better for digestion, and can also help with cholesterol.

• 4 NEW SUPERFOODS:

Moringa which is rich in Vitamin C, Calcium, Vitamin A, Protein, Potassium and Iron. Moringa has anti-inflammatory and anti bacterial properties and is known to promote energy, vitality, athletic performance, and weight loss while boosting the immune system. This is something you WANT in the shake.

o   We also found Coconut Flower Nectar and Luo Han Guo, superfoods that create a natural sweetness to Shakeology plus…

Coconut Flower Nectar is high in potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron and contains 17 amino acids plus is a natural source of B vitamins.

Luo Han Guo has been used in Traditional Chinese Medicine for more than a millennium due to its antioxidant properties and immune-supporting benefits.

Himalayan salt – as you know from the Ultimate Reset, Himalayan salt is actually healthy salt, salt that contains more than 70 trace minerals. Yes, salt is good for you if it’s this kind!

Now, with all that being said, I have read the feedback and the team has had a rough week seeing many of the responses to the Superfood formula they have worked hard to create. This is a complex formulation with around 70 ingredients, which means that it’s not easy to make all that dense nutrition taste chocolatey-creamy. And we take your feedback very seriously. A few people have reported that they have more difficulty swallowing the new formula, or suspect the additional fiber content in the new formula has had more of a “cleansing effect” on them.

Both situations may come from the addition of plant proteins into our proprietary protein blend. These plant proteins have a slightly thicker texture, not to mention more fiber to pass through your digestive tract.  If you or your customers have experienced such effects, I recommend using less than a full serving until your body achieves a natural balance. But the good news is, even with less than a full serving they are getting the benefits of this upgraded formulation! Of course, any serious reactions, please, we want to know about them because this is about your health and we do not take this lightly!  But by using THIS formula instead of the original, you will make healthy progress faster and we will live up to our promise to you and your customers.

And please know your opinion matters to us!  We have been experimenting to try and isolate some of the flavor challenges some people have reported. Some have felt it was a stevia aftertaste, others report a mineral after taste that surfaced when we stopped bombing the formula with the sweetness of fructose.

We have already made some progress to bring it closer to the original without reducing the health benefits!

And we recognize that we have a greater opportunity to involve a broader audience of customers and coaches with regard to refining the taste, aroma, and texture of the new Chocolate formula.

No – we cannot go back to the old formula, it does not fit the profile of this brand. But to reassure you that we won’t make radical changes without a more complete review by customers, I am announcing a new Coach and Customer Taste Panel!

Starting this week, we’re unveiling an unprecedented opportunity to broaden Coach and customer involvement in the changes that we make going forward.  We’re asking for volunteers to be a part of Chocolate Shakeology Sensory Panel.

• If you would like to volunteer for the opportunity to be a part of the Chocolate Shakeology Sensory Panel (the CSSP), please check the Coach Online Office at the end of the day today (Mon 8/13) for detailed instructions.
  • A link to the online application form will be in COO Breaking news by EOD today. You will have until this Friday August 17th to complete it and we’ll notify you by the following Friday August 24th. Those that are chosen for the panel will be sent samples of the new versions of the formula to confidentially taste at home and provide feedback via a separate online survey. Panelists will be chosen from all over the United States—you do not have to live in Southern California to be a part of this panel!

Two other things:

• The single-serve packets of the new Superfood formula will be available starting tomorrow, Tuesday, 8/14 so that what you sample is representative of what your customers will buy.

People we have polled who never had the prior whey formula are reporting HIGH satisfaction with this Superfood formula. (That’s why I was confident in my prior blog post about bridging between the old formula and the new one over time.) But we need to promote this for what is most important; “The Healthiest Meal of the Day” – that’s the mission, so be passionate about it! Things are rough in this world and this is one product that is going to contribute to more than the taste buds but will actually provide the deep health benefits we all expect.

•  Tropical Vegan Texture: We have heard that the texture of the plant-protein blend could be improved. You may have noticed that our Chocolate Vegan formula is much smoother than Tropical. So now Tropical Strawberry will feature the same vegan protein blend as the chocolate and the flavor has not changed at all. That means Tropical Strawberry will be even smoother and – as an extra bonus- the levels of amino acids lysine and methionine are sufficient to be deemed a “complete protein”. Nothing else has changed. The Flavor is still the same.  Shipping out starting early this week. You may receive as early as Friday.

Again, I know some people are on the call thinking, “What’s the big deal? I like the new formulas.”  And others are thinking, “Why can’t they just offer the original plus the Superfood formula? Coke did it with New Coke and Classic Coke.”

Here’s why – There are many meal replacement shakes available in the marketplace through networks and retail. Our promise is to have the most dramatic results in terms of health, fitness and weight loss. Shakeology is our most coveted brand, and it must directly represent what the brand stands for. It stands for the best.

When you offer this product to people, we want it to be positioned as the absolutely healthiest meal of the day. Not a great tasting shake that happens to be healthy. But the healthiest shake you can get which,at a minimum, tastes pretty good.

Achieving health has a cost – and I am not talking price here, I am talking expectation and discipline. When I think of you serving this shake to yourself, to one of your kids, or to a customer who raised their hand and said, “I am ready to get healthy,” which shake do I want you to serve? These new Superfood formulas.

When I think about how disease and suffering are affecting so many lives in our country and which shake can have the most dramatic effect on helping people stay healthy, I know which one I want our company to deliver – the new Superfood formulas.

When I make a cup of Shakeology for myself or my family and I want to know that they are getting the most nutrition possible from that dose; These new Superfood formulas.

I consider this vitally important work, and that the health benefits of this shake are a vitally important promise that we have made to our Coaches and customers. I am proud to serve this shake, and I hope you will see how much love and passion for our customers and community have been poured into its development.

But it’s not an easy game we are playing. The opponent is used to getting its way where the most points are put on the board by appealing to taste first. We need to change the game, and fight even harder to make progress to end the trend of obesity to help people achieve their goals to lead healthy fulfilling lives.

So now I hope we can all put our hands into the center of this huddle and yell “To Health” on three… ready one two three: “TO HEALTH!

Related posts

Team Beachbody Is Making News (Again)!
Team Beachbody Is Making News (Again)!
March 5, 2013 - 0 comment
Puerto Rico, Te Amo!
Puerto Rico, Te Amo!
August 9, 2012 - 4 comments
3 days left to tally up the “likes” & stay for free at Summit
May 15, 2012 - 3 comments
P90X Certification Is Sweeping The Nation – New Dates Added!
May 9, 2012 - 1 comment

1. Jan says:

Not sure if I am using new one

2. I still really enjoy it! I have always put the health benefits of my calories above the taste and texture anyway. I tell ya though…add a generous sprinkle of cinnamon to your new shake and you’ll never be able to tell the difference from the original formula, YUM!

3. Travis Dodge says:

I could not agree more! TO HEALTH!!!!! Yes I agree we need to be able to withstand the taste. However our society today has groomed us to love the Sugar, the Fructose! I love that Beachbody is taking the step that must be taken and is doing it for the betterment of us the people not for the bottom line. This is the company that cares! Trust int what these guys are doing! Believe it is for your health! I am in the HUDDLE. TO HEALTH! Lets get guys and gals!!!!!

4. Rebecca Davis says:

To Health! Great coach call today! Thank you!

5. Thomas Ullom says:

My wife and I love the new chocolate formula! Call me crazy, but I actually prefer the green berry formula. Any chance well see the new super foods formula in green berry?

Thanks!

6. marathongirly says:

Keep doing what you are doing Carl & BB team! I’m one of those people that don’t see what the big deal is and REALLY appreciate that it’s even MORE healthier! Happy Dance from me!

7. PeteTheShakeologyConvert says:

Hey Carl,
    I’m a big fan of your products and commitment. I’ve happily used Shakeology and have extensively read up on it – the blogs, the articles, interviews – and I’ve watched the video interviews as well. For someone who is already initiated, even I am confused regarding the Shakeology product line – and for me, this blog post didn’t help clarify. While I understand the differences between the older and newer formulas (whey vs. plant-based protein, some additional superfoods and healthier sweetener composition), I’m confused as to the number of different flavors that will be available, the names of each flavor as you refer to them, the use of the term ‘SuperFood’ in the name of the flavor(s) and how many changes are planned for the immediate future and when they’re coming…. I’m unsure which flavors you were referring to with each statement.

Are you saying that the original (non-Vegan) ‘Chocolate’ flavor is now called ‘Chocolate Whey Superfood’ and will co-exist with the ‘Chocolate Vegan’ flavor – or will one flavor be phased out, leaving only one Chocolate? And the other flavors? As of now, the web site still shows a flavor simply called ‘Chocolate’ in addition to the newer Vegan one. Is the former one now going to be known as ‘Chocolate Whey Superfood’? Please clarify.

Thank you and keep up the fantastic work!

• Carl Daikeler says:

The original Chocolate Shakeology (which only contained whey proteins) is still called Chocolate Shakeology, we’ve just tagged it with the “New Superfood Formula” logo so you know when your bag comes that it’s the new one. We also have the Chocolate Vegan and will continue to carry both the Chocolate Vegan (plant-based proteins) and the Chocolate Shakeology (plant-based proteins + whey protein). We aren’t phasing out any flavors except the original Chocolate Shakeology. We are still carrying 4 flavors of Shakeology as seen in the picture – Chocolate Vegan, Tropical Strawberry Vegan, Chocolate Superfood, and Greenberry. There may not be an immediate change on the website, but chances are if you receive Chocolate Shakeology from this point moving forward it will be the new Superfood Formula version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for enjoying the Healthiest Meal of the Day!

- Carl

8. PeteTheShakeologyConvert says:

Carl,
    Thank you for clarifying – and for giving us the Healthiest Meal of the Day!
    -Peter

9. Heidi says:

I understand wanting the best nutritional Ingredients in Shakeology however I believe the original formula was fabulous as it was. Taste & smell are very important to most people when it comes to something we drink on a daily basis otherwise we simply get tired of it & choose to drink something that tastes better. A huge part of sharing the chocolate shakeology for me was how Wonderful it smelled right in the bag. The chocolate aroma was intense. The new formula smells like plants and not appetizing. It’s taken me a while to get used to it and although it does taste better than it smells, the after taste is a negative for me. Ive been adding agave nectar to it & it helps but it still has an after taste. I realize health benefits are more important than taste but not sure if iin the long run my clients will stick with it. I appreciate all your hard work & research. Hope I can get on that taste panel :-)

10. Steve Rossetter says:

Carl – I’m one of the complainers of the change in the Chocolate Shakeology. As I was compelled to write you with my feelings at that time, I want to now tell you how pleased I am that I read this blog. The seriousness that you are taking in your customers comments restores my faith in the Beachbody team that has produced such great products. Thanks for keeping to your principles yet still listening to our input. I have volunteered to participate in the CSSP as I would love to help find the best solution. “Kudos to you” for taking this approach!

Steve

11. Risa says:

Hi Carl,
    I finally received my “new superfood formula” chocolate and was able to do a taste test with all 3 chocolates. Love them all, could taste a slight difference, but they were all still great!

My husband had a thought, don’t know if it’s feasible or not sometime in the future, but he suggested that you offer 2 flavors in half bags. So instead of one whole bag of chocolate one month, then let’s say tropical the next month, you’d get both flavors each month, a whole bags worth split between the two flavors. Does that make sense? 1/2 choc bag + 1/2 topical bag = 1 whole bag.

This way you could have more flavors within one month so you don’t have the same shake everyday. He says he knows there are lots of different recipes, but this would just offer more variety. That would allow people to try more of the flavors too. I know that we offer the packets, but that’s only a 24 day supply.

I also just want to say that I’m so proud to able to be a part of this company because I love the integrity that you have and the fact that while no one else seems to care you truly are interested in people’s health not just making a profit. It comes out so loud and clear in your writing, and when I hear you speak about the products and what you’re trying to do. Thank you so much!!

Risa

12. allison smith says:

Carl,
    After all the chatter on the new formula – and hubby and i both having completed the reset – we have enjoyed (and are excited) about the new chocolate – the reason for the comment is to share an opportunity this week i had tto revisit the greenberry (historically not a fav of mine – i liked it …but not as much as chocolate or strawberry) i had a friend who was trying the vegan choc and i slipped her a sample of the greenberry as well – SHE LOVED THE GREENBERRY – it was so sweet – which i have to agree it does taste super sweet after the reset experience (too sweet for my taste) – so for folks that perhaps have not found the new chocolate to get their “sweet fix” i would def revisit the greenberry as an alternative

13. Nicole says:

Hi Carl,
    I have used Shakeology for a little over a month now and love it. I just received the new bag of the new formula and am looking forward to trying it.
    I just wanted to make a suggestion to try a vanilla flavor Shakeology. It would be such a versitile flavor with the fruit, etc. that you could add to it, or just enjoy a vanilla shake. No biggie, though.
    Thank you for the wonderful programs. I started my first Beachbody program in early July and am noticing great results, along with the daily Shakeology. I have never stuck to a program like this before. I’ve lost weight, gained tone and feel so healthy. I love Beachbody and look forward to using more of your products in the future.

14. Roxanne says:

Carl – Is Beachbody going to update the Back Office Documents for Shakeology? Like the Dr. Letter with the attached nutritional labels to include the new Chocolate Shakeology, Tropical Vegan and Chocolate Vegan. Also, just adding all the nutritional lables for all 4 shakeology flavors. I know I send these out to clients all the time as a 3rd party tool and they are great, but now they need to be updated.

15. Bruce Fletcher says:

Hi Carl, I like to add a half scoop of recovery formula if the taste is not what I want. Put your health first and find a way to enjoy the benefits of a long healthy life. FYA People also drink Grappa as a “digestive”. Grappa is distilled stems and seeds of grapes. Paint remover tastes better! I’m just saying

16. Jared says:

Carl – I just wanted to tell you how much I LOVE the chocolate Vegan…been drinking it since Summit and drinking Shakeology since Jan 2012, what once was an elevated cholesterol is now down in a great range and where I was once considered pre hypertenstive, I am now a perfect 120/80 BP as of my exam yesterday…thanks for sharing these awesome products with us…to health!

17. Lynnette Sartor says:

Marketing 101 Don’t change your best seller. I LOVED CHOCOLATE SHAKEOLOGY!!! This new formula has changed the taste dramatically. All the new and improved superfoods will not be any good unless the taste is acceptable to consumers. The everyday person is not going to drink a shake daily if they have to force it down. Carl, you had an AMAZING product until now. I have not been sick since I started drinking Shakeology, but if I cant get it past my mouth it does not do me any good. If the formula is ever changed back I will be buying it again in a heartbeat!!

18. julie koenigsfeld says:

I wholeheartedly agree with Lynette!! Don’t change what was already our “healthiest meal of the day”. You, I’m certain, could put all kinds of other “healthy” ingredients in it to make it even better FOR you, but when does it end and at what cost? I am all for compromising SOME taste for health, but, come on! We all know the original was delicious and the new one is hard to choke down. It’s not the worst thing I’ve ever had, but it was certainly NOT a treat that I look forward to, like the Original formula was. The relatively small amount of fructose, was balanced by limiting sugars in all of my other meals. I added toasted oat bran to my shake for additional fiber. Simple. Some choices regarding healthy additions based on each persons concerns can be left to the individual. If they wanted less fructose, they could use a smaller portion. And, if additional fiber is desired, use one of many options including the fiber boost. I appreciate you trying to make this product even better for us, but PLEASE give us something we can enjoy, as well, and not just have to tolerate! I have cancelled my auto ship until a solution is found. Impatiently waiting…

19. [...] Since the creation of Shakeology, which at the time of this writing, was almost 2 and a half years ago, there has been a ton of new superfood discoveries and research to back the claims of these superfoods. And because Beachbody wants Shakeology to be the “best of the best”, they’ve added 4 new superfoods, and removed some of the sugar. So while Shakeology might have a small aftertaste, it is now a higher quality product that is even healthier for you than the original. Most people that have tried it for 30 days have said that they noticed the aftertaste the first few days, but then it seemed to go away as they got used to it. If the you are bothered by the aftertaste or by the change of the taste in general, my recommendation is to keep drinking it for 30 days, play around with a few different recipe combinations, and then decide. Chances are that your taste buds will adapt and learn to love the new Superfood Formula Shakeology. (Read Carl Daikeler’s blog about the new formula.) [...]

20. Glen Shook says:

Yes, I noticed the stevia aftertaste, but I honestly don’t care. I’ll trade the less sweet for more health any day! I mostly just drink it plain with water mixed up in a blender bottle, but I have done it in the blender with water, ice, and fresh banana/strawberry and blueberry and it was fantastic. No complaints from me!

21. Rachel Christensen says:

Just wanted to say how much I’m enjoying the regular chocolate flavour. I’m new to Shakeology, so have never tried the old formula, but I’m honestly baffled about people’s dislike for this superfood version. It’s very tasty and frankly quite sweet. I am used to the taste of stevia and generally throw in plenty of other goodies to make a more filling smoothie, but the chocolate flavour definitely comes through. Today it was a fresh coconut water, coconut pulp and spinach (in a vitamix). Yummy! Having a blast throwing in lots of greens, fruits and nuts to have something different (but chocolatey) every day!

22. Bob says:

I absolutely love the new Chocolate taste. Great job on balancing the entire ingredients list that includes the lowered sugar. I shared this with my Mom who is 68 and she absolutely loves it. I like to blend my chocolate shakeology with the water in the blender. I used to use milk, but realized that the water is much better. Thanks again for all that you do!