20 Jan. 2012

BEACHBODY’S SOPA AND PIPA POSITION

After posting Beachbody’s position on the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the related Protect IP Act (PIPA) yesterday, and getting the feedback from the customers and Coaches we serve, we have decided to pull our support of this legislation unless it can be drafted to the satisfaction of those it is meant to serve, the American people.

As important as it is to us to protect the investment and rights we have in our product, and as important as it is to support the business needs of our Coaches, it is not within our company’s core values to proceed with any initiative “at all costs”. Our job is to serve and to help people achieve their goals to lead healthy fulfilling lives which would never include sacrificing free speech or an open Internet.

The support of SOPA, and our research into the matter has not surfaced the same fears that have been published by SOPA’s opposition, but that point is moot. Perception is reality, and if our customers are this passionate about the issue, we obviously needed to reevaluate our position. We are still committed to protecting our intellectual property and look forward to working with the technology sector on greater innovations and mechanisms to protect American businesses, American customers and American ingenuity from outright theft. If balanced legislation can be proposed that is supported by all sides on this issue we would support it, but as currently written and in light of the response from our Coaches and community, we can no longer support SOPA or PIPA.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and the respect you showed us in the balanced and thoughtful way you shared your opinions. It truly went a long way to helping us reconsider our position.

Again, your opinions are extremely important to us so feel free to email me any additional thoughts at StopPiracy@Beachbody.com.
Respectfully,

Jonathan Gelfand

Related posts

Done Deal – Beachbody Joins Forces with LNK Partners!
Done Deal – Beachbody Joins Forces with LNK Partners!
December 11, 2012 - 1 comment
Train With Tony Horton
Train With Tony Horton
November 8, 2012 - 0 comment
We Listen, Then We Create
We Listen, Then We Create
October 16, 2012 - 7 comments
Talking P90X on Fox News “After The Bell”
Talking P90X on Fox News “After The Bell”
August 14, 2012 - 0 comment

1. Eric says:

Thank you!

2. Isaac.S says:

Again and again I am amazed at what a wonderful company Beachbody is! I am proud to be a coach and to be representing such a fine company! Lets stop the obesity trend!

3. Cale Dansbee says:

Carl, as the CEO of Beachbody, I know you are in a tough position when the discussion of piracy comes up. Beachbody sells many products that can be adversely affected by online piracy and as a business owner, that affects your bottom line. It is in your best interest to support any action that may limit online piracy. As a 15 IT Security Engineer and Director of IT, please know that there are many of us deep in the trenches working hard to engineer solutions that can reduce the damaging effects of piracy. We will need legislation eventually and we need to trust that when it happens, it won’t upend the Internet. The third slice of that triad will need to be education. Once we combine the right amounts of technology, legislation, and education, things will improve.

Also know that your ability as a CEO to listen, absorb, and change course is one of the many reasons why Beachbody is so successful. Many leaders find course correction difficult.

4. Brad Gibala says:

Thank you Carl. I personally feel there are better ways to fight this and I think we can learn a lot of lessons from this book. I kept thinking while reading this book if Beachbody and Team Beachbody applied what the Grateful Dead did then the amount of customers/ coaches would grow even faster getting us closer to Ending The Trend of obesity.

5. Garrett Krahn says:

Thank you so much, Carl. I’m really happy to hear that you and Beachbody have changed your position on SOPA and PIPA. I, and many others, greatly appreciate this. :)

6. Brittany says:

Thank you Carl! I’ve been a fan of your company for over a decade and I’m impressed with the level of caring and integrity that you show to your customers and fans. Any true supporter of you and Beachbody understands your desire to protect your property and profits, but the fact that you care about your customers enough to rethink your position on this matter, especially when your research tells you that there is nothing to fear, is very impressive. It’s integrity like this that will protect your company in the long run. Any hits by internet piracy will have very little affect on your company when you have as solid a foundation as you have built and continue to nurture.

7. Julian Carr says:

Mr. Daikeler, Team BeachBody, et.al.,

I was recently introduced to P90X and BeachBody just a few months ago. To learn of a company that still focused on the customer as it’s best asset and it’s key investment made me want to participate in the phenomena more than anything. I signed up for P90X shortly after and have been having the time of my life going from a 340+ lb. 42 year old man to a 220 lb bound man.

Shortly after I started my journey, I was unfortunate enough to stumble upon a coach recruiting video featuring Mr. Daikeler himself. I found the video disturbing in that it seemed to promise fame and fortune for the coaches if they could sell the BeachBody products and continue building the business further. This was a 180 from what I believed I had initially participated and invested in. I understand all businesses need business to survive, but this seemed to fly in the face of what I was led to believe BeachBody was about.

That is until I just read this SOPA/PIPA announcement. It again reaffirms that BeachBody and it’s management do care about, well, basically me, your customer(s).

I am proud that BeachBody is part of my life and excited to see where we go from here.

BRING IT!

8. Erik B says:

One of the biggest challenges as a coach is getting people to buy the programs. Everyone I talk to always says “I’ll just download it for free”. And it sucks because 1) I know they’re strapped for cash and 2) they won’t really commit to fitness if they don’t invest in it, so they usually end up doing nothing.

I’m not taking a high and mighty road, cause I have tons of pirated media. But your thinking changes when your business is hurt by piracy.

Personally, I think beachbody will always defend their products, as they should, and i agree with your desire to want to do so. The thinking behind SOPA is not bad, but the broad wording of the bill was what led to such a fearful reaction, and inevitably sent it back to the drawing board.

As far as SOPA and PIPA and bills like it; if the agenda of lobbyists is to have a way to censor information on the internet, one way or another, eventually, it WILL happen. It will be snuck into some appropriation bill or passed in the middle of the night, and that will be the day that maybe we all get a real wake up call.

Anyway, thanks Beachbody, for listening to your customers, your coaches, and always striving to do the right thing.

9. Ed S. says:

Again…. You are the BEST. I am so proud of you and Beachbody for making this decision and listening to us your “Coaches” & customers. Way to stand up.

10. Bravo……..well done sir!!

11. Yvonne D. says:

Thank you sooooo much for changing your position on this important issue! Freedom and people first! :) Thank you!

12. Rodrigo Carvajal says:

Estimados señores de Beachbody, me alegra ver que les importa la opinión de sus clientes, y que las toman en cuenta. Personalmente creo que la piratería es un daño colateral ante la gran herramienta que es internet y la libertad de esta. Gracias a internet conocí a su empresa al buscar “peliculas” para descargar, fué entonces cuando vi por primera vez la palabra “P90X”, y como no sabía que diablos era, busqué en youtube y ví el video de transformación de “Josh Spencer”, desde entonces me dediqué a investigar. Finalmente me convertí en un cliente mas al comprar via “Internet” el programa “P90X” en español, ademas he comprado el kit completo de “B-Lines”, “Tony Horton’s PowerStand”, “P90X Tanks” tengo una pre-orden para el “P90X2″. La verdad, es que si no fuese por internet, no hubiese conocido a beachbody ni a sus productos, yo vivo en Chile y espero que algún día Beachbody tenga el interés de invertir en mi país, de momento sigo trabajando para lograr mis objetivos y hacerles más popular en mi país, preparando el camino para cuando se decidan a trabajar aquí. actualmente tengo el programa pero me falta el gran soporte que ustedes ofrecen.

13. Thank you Carl! You’re the best!

14. Paul says:

Thanks for doing the right thing! Now that support for the legislation is waning, the remaining supporters will have a hard time defending their position.

15. Stewart says:

I’m glad that Beachbody has publicly changed it’s position on supporting SOPA/PIPA, but considering that both bills have already failed, what did you have to lose?

Mr. Gelfand’s letter to the House of Representatives clearly states that he would like to work with the committee to “ensure the passage of the strongest bill possible.” I hope in the future, Mr. Gelfand will instead put his efforts into supporting the FAIREST bill possible.

Alternatively, learn to adapt! The entertainment industry is refusing to evolve. You cannot effectively combat piracy via IP protection bills or encryption. The past has shown that this just isn’t effective! Stop wasting your time (and our freedoms) protecting an outdated business model.

Instead, provide easy access to your product for a very cheap price (e.g. cell phone apps!). Then make money thru value-added products and services (e.g. cheap yearly subscription to updated content, recovery drinks, protein bars, etc). The more people using your product, the more chances to upsell them.

The Internet has changed the world. It’s time to adapt…

• Thanks for your thoughts. I think that the content itself has value, and people want the content to have the kind of value that P90X and TurboFire and Insanity do, rather than just being more of the same old exercise videos. That requires significant R&D. Should movie companies let people watch their films for free, and just charge $30 for popcorn?

Accepting theft is not a solution.

That being said, I totally agree now that the prospect of suppressing free speech as a means of suppressing theft is not an option. So we learned. And we changed our position, and we will be better because of it.